Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Osaka Update

Hello again, from our last night in Osaka. Those of you reading these pieces for a coherent reportage of our journey, I hope some of our other chaperones will provide it, 'cause I know I'm not--I hardly know what day it is. Checking back on the itinerary, I realize that I didn't mention performance #2 at the B-Flat Club with the "Groovy Encounters." I'll have to get back to you on that--I've tried to stay apace of my more adventurous colleagues in seeking out the groovy encounters with Japanese culture around us, but I've run aground with my monthly curse of migraine and at the moment, the B-Flat club is not coming up in my GPS. I did mention gig #1 and the Rikkyo Jr. and High School but jumped to the Royal Horse. Sorry.

And while I'm at it, the Royal Horse gig, as unlikely-of-success as it seemed at the beginning, turned into a more positive and pleasing performance as the set progressed. The Global Jazz Orchestra didn't draw much of an audience, but they were excellent. A very tight band with one American ex-pat who's lived in Tokyo for five years and was in a powerful trumpet section. Their set was characterized by the precision we've seen from the middle schoolers on up in the Japanese music scene. The downside was the painfully loud assault on our eardrums. They invited our students to sit in on a last number and Ari and Akeem took the step. Both were well received and their initiative was an inspiration. One of the trumpet players took extra time and care after the set, delivering a compact master class for Arianna who has immediately taken to practicing his assigned drills. His ultra high notes were riveting.

I've run out of steam again. This evening I passed up an outing to see a Bunraku theater piece. Mark has just returned and gave a very positive review. I've slept, tried to catch up on home email which I vowed I'd ignore until returning to CA, had a nice hang with Charles, and now need to get to sleep for an early call tomorrow, moving onward to Kyoto.

I'll try next opportunity to recount our concert in Sakai; our students will have reports on their home-stays, which were graciously organized by the Berkeley-Sakai association. When we last saw them heading out with their family hosts, everyone was all smiles. We helped break in a completely new facility of the city of Sakai, and many city employees worked diligently to make the production a success. My minor personal contribution was a presentation of an official City of Berkeley Proclamation acknowledging the 40 years of the Sister City relationship, and I for one was touched by the solemnity and dignity in the very brief ceremony. Whatever the younger generation may feel about such things, the adults seem to understand the gravity and the urgency of promoting international understanding and friendship. Maybe consciousness of our shared history in the 20th century is more immediate to them than to us.

Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment