Saturday, December 27, 2008

Crossing the Pond

I'm sitting here, flying through the air in this large metal tube, lined with softly lit, curvaceous off-white plastic, engines quietly roaring away, drowning out most of the breathing and snoring around me, lulling me into a light sleep. Occasionally a cough or whiny child's voice cuts through the heavy silence and I drift into semi-consciousness, anticipating my forthcoming travels through England and India, wondering how closely or not everything will resemble things I've read, stories I've heard, or pictures I've seen.

I saw the film Across the Universe a few days ago, so now I'm half expecting to see British hipsters from the 60's dancing through gritty shipyards and rundown tenements, breaking into Beatles tunes. I'm also reading Nick Hornby's High Fidelity, and unlike the movie (one of my favorites), which takes place in Chicago, the original setting for the book is in London. It would be great to visit the British version of Championship Vinyl.

Slumdog Millionaire is another recent film I saw, and my visions of Mumbai are more vivid than ever (see it!) I won't be surprised if I see kids playing cricket on the Mumbai Airport runway when we land.

No comments:

Post a Comment