Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Chaatwalla


A chaiwalla brings tea. The vegwalla brings vegetables. And there are wallas for toys, kitchenwares, tomorrow, yesterday, the one above (the uberwalla!) You name it, the walla brings it or makes it. They walk through the neighborhoods and the trains, usually chanting their offerings so it sounds like some kind of exotic baseball game is always going on. This chaatwalla comes around every day with a cart full of nuts and sweets and things. Hard to resist, especially when many of the items are only a few rupees. I wish these guys came around my house in California!

4 comments:

  1. You'll never be the same after this trip. You'll walk around in native garb, letting time go by and stopping for chai or chaat whenever the mood strikes. Damn, I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mark, let me first introduce myself. I am Sai Nellore and I am an online friend of your sister-in-law Carmen and brother Gary. I was active on Facebook's Obama Supporters' forum before the 2008 elections. That's how we met.

    Anyway, it is really enjoyable reading your blogs here. Generally, the first-timers to India don't take it as well as you've taken (we Indians don't make it easy) and in that sense, I am surprised at your high level of acceptance of such a crazy country. May be you were an Indian in your past life!

    You say you live in California. Are you in Bay area, or near LA? We lived in Mountain View during 1997-2003 and we moved back to India in 2003.

    Regards,

    Sai

    ReplyDelete